The Responsible Pharmacist is the pharmacist appointed by the employer responsible for securing safe and effective running of the pharmacy.
- Responsibility continues during periods of absence of the responsible pharmacist.
- If there is more than one pharmacist working at the same time in the pharmacy, only one may be the responsible pharmacist.
- A pharmacist cannot be responsible for more than one pharmacy at any one time.
- No additional training is required to be a responsible pharmacist providing you are working within an area in which you are professionally competent
Display a notice
It must state:
- Your name.
- Your registration number.
- The fact that you are in charge of the pharmacy.
If you are absent the notice should remain in place but it should be amended if the responsible pharmacist changes throughout the day.
Complete the pharmacy record
The record may be in electronic or paper form and meets the legal requirements. The record should include:
- Your name.
- Registration number.
- Date and time you become the responsible pharmacist.
- Date and time you stop being the responsible pharmacist.
- If you are absent from the pharmacy (up to 2 hours in a 24 hour period is permissible), the date and time of the absence and the time you return.
Check with your PMR provider as electronic templates are now available.
A Responsible Pharmacist Register is available from Denward.
The superintendent pharmacist or pharmacy owner must keep the record for 5 years.